A minimally invasive skin tightening treatment called Renuvion is now available using radiofrequency power with the addition of cold helium plasma. Even those of us who do all the right things to fight the signs of aging, such as eating a healthy diet, wearing sunscreen, and a rigorous skincare routine, can’t always battle the signs of aging at home.
Previously, surgery was the only option to minimize sagging skin for a more youthful appearance. The only choices available were surgical facelifts, brow lifts, and eyelid surgery. But over the last ten years, some remarkable cosmetic technology has evolved. We have seen stellar results with minimally invasive treatments, not to mention lower cost, downtime, and surgical discomfort.
Dr. Vanek and his talented team of medical aestheticians are always looking for safe, practical solutions for patients who aren’t quite ready for surgery—and we’re excited to offer the Renuvion skin tightening treatment.
How does Renuvion work?
Renuvion is the world’s first minimally invasive skin tightening treatment that combines two energy-based technologies: radiofrequency energy (RF) and cold helium plasma.
- RF energy has been used in the cosmetic medical industry for years and has a long, proven record of safety and efficacy. RF works by heating the deep tissues under the skin’s surface to trigger an immediate contraction and prompt collagen production. It helps thicken, firm, and smoothen skin over time for a natural tone, texture, and firmness improvement.
- Cold helium plasma is created when helium gas is electrically charged and converted. The resulting plasma rapidly cools your skin as treated with RF, keeping you comfortable and protecting surrounding tissues.
Combining these two energies—one to heat and one to cool—allows the Renuvion device to heat tissues to a higher temperature than other radiofrequency devices. That means we can treat more severe sagging in a single treatment, provide improved and dramatic results, and minimize recovery while keeping you comfortable and safe.
Where can Renuvion be used?
Because the Renuvion device is so versatile, it can be used nearly anywhere on the body to improve the appearance of saggy or loose skin, crepiness, and even small areas of fat.
Common problem areas we often treat include:
• Upper face, including the around the eyes, forehead, and between the eyebrows
• Lower cheeks, jawline (jowls), and just under the chin
• Neck, chest, and décolletage
• Breasts or pectoral area
• Upper arms
• Inner and outer thighs
During your consultation, Dr. Vanek will evaluate your areas of concern to determine if Renuvion (or another non-surgical or surgical solution) is the best choice for providing you with optimal results. Although Renuvion is recognized as the most effective minimally invasive skin tightening solution available, some patients with severe laxity or skin excess will still need a traditional surgical procedure for skin removal.
What happens during a Renuvion treatment?
If you and Dr. Vanek agree that Renuvion is an excellent choice, you will then discuss exactly what will happen during the treatment. The procedure is considered minimally invasive; the amazing results we can achieve require small incisions to insert the Renuvion device.
Depending on the severity of your concerns and area(s) being treated, your treatment may be performed under general anesthesia, local anesthesia with sedation, or local-only anesthetic. Dr. Vanek will discuss which form of anesthesia he recommends as he develops your treatment plan.
Once you are fully anesthetized and comfortable, Dr. Vanek will strategically make one or more tiny incisions in the treatment area, through which the Renuvion probe will be inserted just beneath the skin’s surface. This allows for precise, targeted treatment.
Once inserted, the probe will emit RF energy to heat the underlying tissues deeply, while the cold helium plasma simultaneously helps transmit the RF energy and cools the tissues.
During this process, Dr. Vanek will control the device’s temperature, timing, and location to ensure you receive a safe, effective treatment. You can return home with a bandage over the incision sites when your procedure is finished. Depending on where you received treatment, Dr. Vanek may also recommend a compression garment to minimize swelling and support optimal healing and results.
Does Renuvion skin tightening hurt?
You should not feel any discomfort during your Renuvion procedure. You will either be fully numb from a local anesthetic or under sedation or general anesthesia.
After your treatment—and once the anesthetic wears off—it’s normal to feel localized soreness and swelling. This can last a few days, though this discomfort is typically relatively mild and short-lived and is similar to what is usually experienced from a liposuction procedure.
Can Renuvion be combined with other procedures?
Yes! We’ve found that Renuvion can help enhance results from several other procedures, both surgical and minimally invasive.
- Renuvion Plus Liposuction. Liposuction remains an effective way to slim down areas of stubborn fat practically anywhere on the body—but it does not impact skin elasticity. Patients who have poor skin elasticity from childbirth, aging, or weight loss may not get the results they want with liposuction alone. Renuvion can help smooth and tone areas that have been treated with liposuction.
- Renuvion Plus Skin Resurfacing. While Renuvion does help improve skin quality, patients concerned about sagging facial skin and wrinkles, dark spots, or sun damage will be pleased with the overall improvement this power duo can provide.
- Renuvion Plus Open Surgery. Renuvion can also be combined with traditional (“open”) surgical procedures when targeted skin tightening is desired in areas such as the neck, male chest, and others.
The options are virtually limitless! We can explore solutions and develop a customized treatment plan during your consultation.
How long is recovery after Renuvion?
You can expect to take it easy for a few days after your treatment, though you will not be bedridden by any means. Our patients who receive full-face treatments or targeted treatment of larger areas report feeling comfortable socializing and returning to their normal activities after about a week.
What kind of Renuvion results can I expect?
Radiofrequency skin tightening is such a popular skin tightening option because results appear in two waves:
- An immediate skin contraction, texture, and firmness improvement occur within a few days.
- A long-term, gradual tightening and continued skin quality improvement over several months as swelling minimizes and your body creates new collagen in the area.
You can expect noticeable results after a month or two—and these results should last for a long time to come. That’s because Renuvion triggered natural tissue remodeling and collagen-building in the area. Your results will not wear off; instead, you’ll enjoy a younger look and hit rewind on the aging process.Because the natural aging process will continue, many patients opt for maintenance treatments once a year or so to keep their youthful look for years.
We’d love to chat with you about Renuvion or help you explore your minimally invasive options at Mentor Plastic Surgery and MedSpa. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!
Dr. Vanek will listen to you and “hold your hand” through your entire process, and he has taught his entire staff to do the same. He understands and respects your privacy and sensitivity. His professional but familial approach will quickly help you become very comfortable with him and with how he will help change your life.